Go Back   West Palm Beach Forums > Let's Get Started! > Questions, Reviews, Things to Do & West Palm Beach Chat

Old July 13th, 2006, 08:42 AM
cristinathomas

Default Dog Beaches & Parks

Are dogs permitted on the beaches in West Palm Beach?
Old July 13th, 2006, 10:00 AM
WestPalmBeach.com Forum Admin

Default Dogs on the Beach & Dog Parks

Hey there!

Unfortunately in Palm Beach County, there are no county beaches you can take your dog (ordinance 2004-019 section 4 / An ordinance of the Board of County Commissioners of Palm Beach County, Florida), well, except one. You can take your dog to Jupiter Beach only in non-guarded areas north of Marcinski Road and south of Carlin Park. Dogs must be kept on a leash or in voice command at all times. For more information, please visit: http://www.jupiter.fl.us/?nid=437

So, if both you & your pooch are bound for the beach, this is the spot and you can thank the Friends of Jupiter Beach, a group of local residents dedicated to preserving the privilege of being accompanied by our dogs on the beach. FJB raised seed money for 10 "doggie bag" dispenser boxes and bags along A1A and they pledged to organize MONTHLY volunteer beach cleanups, held faithfully for 12 years, cancelled only due to horrible weather and hurricanes.

I have also included some City of West Palm Beach parks that allow dogs and may interest you:

Howard Park, Parker Avenue just south of Okeechobee Boulevard in West Palm Beach

Dreher Park, North and South of Summit Boulevard between Parker Avenue and the I-95 overpass and across the street from the Palm Beach Zoo in West Palm Beach.

For more information on both of these City of West Palm Beach parks, please call 561-804-4900 & they'll be happy to assist you!

Write On!

Jojo Bergstrom
Old July 14th, 2006, 09:35 AM
beer2share

Okeeheelee Park in WPB has a great doggie park--so does Lake Ida in Delray Beach =) No water for the pooches to play in, so sad!!
IF you go to Boca's dog park, I believe it is in west Boca, they charge you if you are not a Boca resident--so typical of Boca.
Old July 14th, 2006, 09:56 AM

Default West Palm Beach Dog Parks - more info

Hey beer2share!

Thanks for the additional information! I'm adding just a bit more details for our WestPalmBeach.com Forum members on the dog parks you mentioned.

Dog Park at Lake Ida
2929 Lake Ida Road,
Delray Beach, FL

Pooch Pines At Okeeheelee Park
7715 Forest Hill Boulevard,
West Palm Beach, FL

For even more information, contact the Palm Beach County Parks & Recreation Department at 561-966-6600.

Last edited by Jojo; August 12th, 2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old January 12th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Deb

Cool Lake Worth Beach

As of this past Summer, I was taking my Bella to the UN-lifeguarded section of Lake Worth Beach. The southern most point of the parking area...last stair case down to the beach. The Lifeguards themselves pointed me there originally. Has that changed?
I would love to know. Thanks!
Deb
Old January 12th, 2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
As of this past Summer, I was taking my Bella to the UN-lifeguarded section of Lake Worth Beach. The southern most point of the parking area...last stair case down to the beach. The Lifeguards themselves pointed me there originally. Has that changed?
Deb
Interesting - I have never seen any dogs at Lake Worth Beach - and as far as I\'m aware, it\'s not allowed! Also, just to confirm - you\'re referring to the southern part and not the Kreusler Park area?
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:15 AM

Default hi

The information you have provided is really useful and great.

Lisa11

Last edited by Jojo; January 28th, 2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
Deb
I was therw two days ago... only this time I was behind the Ritz Carlton after 5:30PM. No onwe said a word and she was an angel. I go to different parts of Lake Worth beach ALL the time... just after Lifeguards get off now.
I work so i do not know if they still allow dogs on the southern most point of the lake worth Pier beach. I also bring Bella to Boynton Beach AFTER lifeguard duty and no one says a word. It is quiet and sunny until 8pm.
Deb
Old June 26th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Unregistered

Default Petition drive to establish dog friendly beaches in Palm Beach

Hi, just a reminder that BARK (Beaches ARe for K9s Too) is a Political Action Committee attempting to amend the current ban on dogs on county beaches and establish a few dog friendly ones.

visit www.bark2pac.org to read about our effort and sign the petition.

Dog owners PLEASE FORWARD THIS WEBSITE ON !!!

Thanks,
Dr. John Pacy
Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:15 AM
Unregistered

Default Dog at the Beach

Are dogs still not allow in Palm beach county beaches? thanks
Old September 7th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Unregistered

Arrow Dogs on beaches in Palm Beach County

As far as I know, Jupiter is still the only area that allows dogs on the beach- but - it's NOT all Jupiter beaches.

Be sure to confirm before you head to the beach with your dog - 561-741-2400

More info here -

Before you head to the beach with man's best friend here are some things you need to know:

•Dogs are allowed on non-guarded beaches from Jupiter to Juno Beach. (South of Carlin Park and North or Marcinski)
•Dogs must be kept on a leash or in voice command at all times.
•Please refrain dogs from shaking water on or invading the space of others.
•You must ALWAYS clean up after your dog. There are special Dog Kiosk that provide plastic bags for your convenience in case you forget your own.
•Keep your dog in front of you or beside you at all times so you can see where they are and what they are doing.
•Do not bury feces in the sand or throw it in the dunes or water. Encourage your dog to "go" at home before you get to the beach.
•Only allow dog to run when you have found a desolate spot on the beach...giving no one reason to complain.
•Try to bring your dog to the beach at less crowded hours, early morning or late afternoon. It's also more comfortable for your dog at these times because it will be a little cooler.
Old January 7th, 2011, 07:30 AM
~MAC~

Smile RE: Dog Beaches

I know they don't mind Dogs at the North end of Boynton Inlet either. we go there with our bulldog quite often and never had an issue.
Old April 16th, 2011, 04:45 PM
pamiam

Default Thank you

Thank you for sharing the info about dog friendly beaches. I live around my dog and she loves to swim. This will be her first ocean voyage, coming from north of Toronto Cananda.
Keep up the great work! Are there donation methods togive to your organization?
pamiam and trinity
Old May 8th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Unregistered

Default lake worth beach

My brother and I used to take our dog to lake worth beach, past the life guards and all those white umbrellas. Everything was fine until someone called the cops on us. Our dog is very sweet and full grown, only the size of a puppy. apparently if we had know the room number of our friend living in the condo we would have been fine. however the dogs still aren't allowed in the water.
Palm beach county needs to make a dog beach where our dogs can swim if they wish.
Old June 20th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Unregistered

I've been kicked out of every beach from lake worth to hammock in Boynton but for the most part the places without lifeguards are fine
Old September 26th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Unregistered

Default "Public" beaches are unregulated

Beaches south of LW Pier, north of Boynton Inlet, etc. are "public" beaches. They are not owned/managed by any government entity (city or county); therefore, you can take your dogs there. Most of these beaches are tough to access because there is little parking and most are in front of oceanfront homes. Those homeowners might think they own the beach, but they don't. "We" own it.
Old November 8th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Unregistered

Thank you all for you input and experiences. can you park at the inlet and walk your dog to beach?
Old November 9th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Unregistered

Default Boynton Inlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thank you all for you input and experiences. can you park at the inlet and walk your dog to beach?
Yes, there's parking at the Boynton Inlet - the beach is directly across the street.
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Unregistered

Default Help with finding large dogs friendly real estate

Hi,

I know I'm not in the right forum but someone please help me in finding where I could ask my question. I want to buy a house in a large dog friendly community but I've had a hard time finding some. Anybody has suggestions? Or which forum is best suited for my question?

Louise
Old December 21st, 2012, 11:09 PM
Unregistered

Default Boynton Inlet North End

Since the last posting was in Nov, 2011, is anybody going there with dogs? Is it still ok to do that?

Thank you, lvoving dog owner
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:56 AM
Unregistered

Default Dog beaches / Palm Beach County

I'm sorry but where is there a doggie beach , I clicked the Jupiter link and sad wrong addy I would love to take my Aussie to a beach plz plz help if you know of one even if its all the way in jupiter
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry but where is there a doggie beach , I clicked the Jupiter link and sad wrong addy I would love to take my Aussie to a beach plz plz help if you know of one even if its all the way in jupiter
Thanks for the heads up regarding the Jupiter link not working. We found the new link: http://www.jupiter.fl.us/?nid=437
Old July 1st, 2013, 10:39 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Dog Friendly Beach Driving Directions

Welcome to Jupiter Beach in northern Palm Beach County. Well-behaved dogs and their conscientious owners are welcome only on a 2.5 mile stretch of beach, from North of the Juno Beach lifeguarded area to South of the Carlin Park lifeguarded area crossovers 25-59. Please respect any NO DOGS ON BEACH areas. Dogs are not allowed in lifeguarded areas, Palm Beach County Natural Areas or Town of Jupiter parks.

Directions to the Beach:

Two Jupiter exits from I-95: Donald Ross Road or Indiantown Road (also Florida Turnpike exit #116 east/Jupiter).

From Donald Ross Road (exit 83): East to the end (approx. 4.5 miles), turn left/North on A1A (beach road). Dog-friendly section begins at intersection of A1A and Marcinski Road (traffic light), crossover #25.

From Indiantown Road (exit 87A): East to end of Indiantown Road (approx 4.5 miles), turn right/South on A1A (beach road). After curves, road is straight along the beach and dog-friendly section begins at crossover #59.
Parking is free along Jupiter Beach. Additional parking in Ocean Cay Park (2188 Marcinski Road), 3160 A1A (the beach road), and 3187 A1A (enter from Marcinski Road).

Drinking water is available at most beach crossovers.
Restrooms are located in Ocean Cay Park; Carlin Park; Juno Beach Park; and NW corner of Marcinski Road & A1A.

Aerial map of Jupiter waterfront Dog-friendly stretch is from crossovers #25 #59
Please use the FREE dog bags provided by Friends of Jupiter Beach (FJB) at 29 beach crossovers, and use best beach etiquette to preserve this great privilege. Your support of our efforts is appreciated; we are a not-for-profit organization supported by donations and volunteers. We save the taxpayers money! We also organize giant beach cleanups the first Saturday of every month, weather permitting. FJB volunteer efforts have kept Jupiter Beach clean and dog-friendly for 18+ years!
Friends of Jupiter Beach, PO Box 791, Jupiter, FL 33468 561-748-8140 www.FriendsOfJupiterBeach.com
Old September 8th, 2013, 05:37 AM
Unregistered

Smile Delray Dog Beach

FYI- If you go to Atlantic Ave. and head east for A1A there is an area where a lot of people take their dogs. Head North on A1A and go to the metered parking spots on the right. You want to go as far down as possible to the last metered spot because you will use the last public beach access to get to the beach. You will see a bunch of houses on the ocean side and a lot of people bring their dogs behind those houses every weekend. There are always a lot of dogs there and they do not have to be on a leash. I have heard that you can get a ticket from the police if they catch you walking with your dog on the sand to the public beach so be careful. Once you walk to down the beach go left and make sure to stay behind the houses. I run with my dog for miles and its all private beach and no one says anything. Hope this helps and enjoy the beach with you pooch!
Old October 4th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Unregistered

Talking Ditto to Dogs on Delray Beach

Just a couple of days ago, October 1st, 2013, I was talking with my new neighbor about the No Dogs Allowed Policy on Palm Beach County beaches. That's when she told me the very same thing about Delray Beach ... That you CAN bring your dog there! And, the beach access point as described above - just north of Atlantic on A1A at the last parking meter - is exactly how my neighbor described it.

I haven't taken my Golden Retriever there yet, but I definitely will in the coming days. I know my full-grown puppy-boy is gonna LOVE the beach and getting wet in the ocean. Wishing all you Dog Lovers and your K9 Pals ... All The Best! DB & Dex from Boca.
Old October 17th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Unregistered

Default Problems in Delray

I went last week to the "unofficial" dog beach in Delray and a cop on a quad pulled up and said all of our dogs had to be on leashes.
we were on the "private" section too. I dont know if that holds up but he made it so uncomfortable that everyone left. it was 11:30am on saturday and there was maybe 6-7 dogs out, all well behaved, no issues amongst any of us.
I have going there for the past 2 years and have never had a problem. According to others, there has been a recent flare up of patroling and harrassment.
everyone who goes there respects this hidden gem. i dont understand why there is an issue. no one goes there unless they have a dog and no one lives in the houses on the beach. isnt there more important things to worry about that a few dogs on an unpopular out of the way section of the beach?
Old November 10th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Chris

Default Dr

I am a two-dog owner (Irish Terriers) and have lov
Quote:

Welcome to Jupiter Beach in northern Palm Beach County. Well-behaved dogs and their conscientious owners are welcome only on a 2.5 mile stretch of beach, from North of the Juno Beach lifeguarded area to South of the Carlin Park lifeguarded area crossovers 25-59. Please respect any NO DOGS ON BEACH areas. Dogs are not allowed in lifeguarded areas, Palm Beach County Natural Areas or Town of Jupiter parks.

Directions to the Beach:

Two Jupiter exits from I-95: Donald Ross Road or Indiantown Road (also Florida Turnpike exit #116 east/Jupiter).

From Donald Ross Road (exit 83): East to the end (approx. 4.5 miles), turn left/North on A1A (beach road). Dog-friendly section begins at intersection of A1A and Marcinski Road (traffic light), crossover #25.

From Indiantown Road (exit 87A): East to end of Indiantown Road (approx 4.5 miles), turn right/South on A1A (beach road). After curves, road is straight along the beach and dog-friendly section begins at crossover #59.
Parking is free along Jupiter Beach. Additional parking in Ocean Cay Park (2188 Marcinski Road), 3160 A1A (the beach road), and 3187 A1A (enter from Marcinski Road).

Restrooms are located in Ocean Cay Park; Carlin Park; Juno Beach Park; and NW corner of Marcinski Road & A1A.

Aerial map of Jupiter waterfront Dog-friendly stretch is from crossovers #25 #59
Please use the FREE dog bags provided by Friends of Jupiter Beach (FJB) at 29 beach crossovers, and use best beach etiquette to preserve this great privilege. Your support of our efforts is appreciated; we are a not-for-profit organization supported by donations and volunteers. We save the taxpayers money! We also organize giant beach cleanups the first Saturday of every month, weather permitting. FJB volunteer efforts have kept Jupiter Beach clean and dog-friendly for 18+ years!
Friends of Jupiter Beach, PO Box 791, Jupiter, FL 33468 561-748-8140 www.FriendsOfJupiterBeach.com
Old November 10th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Mojo

Default Dr

I have lived in Fl for 11 years. I'm an animal lover and have two wonderful dog/people in my family; Irish Terriers. I have been, and continue to be, disgusted by the attitudes of the majority of people in S.Florida to animals and, particularly, to dogs - the city, county and state governments seem to follow the bitching of wealthy dog-haters in their regulation. So do gated communities. Where are the rights of dogs recognized?

I've been to beaches where you have watch out for bathers who yell for the police - even though the dogs are on leashes, and I was carrying crap bags after getting my dogs to poop and pee at home beforehand. The police are not friendly. Even though they use beautiful dogs for crowd control, cadaver discovery, drug sniffing etc. I am not allowed to take my dogs for a walk in the community!

How can we work for more open, dog-friendly communities in S. Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
Hey there!

Unfortunately in Palm Beach County, there are no county beaches you can take your dog (ordinance 2004-019 section 4 / An ordinance of the Board of County Commissioners of Palm Beach County, Florida), well, except one. You can take your dog to Jupiter Beach only in non-guarded areas north of Marcinski Road and south of Carlin Park. Dogs must be kept on a leash or in voice command at all times. For more information, please visit: http://www.jupiter.fl.us/?nid=437

So, if both you & your pooch are bound for the beach, this is the spot and you can thank the Friends of Jupiter Beach, a group of local residents dedicated to preserving the privilege of being accompanied by our dogs on the beach. FJB raised seed money for 10 "doggie bag" dispenser boxes and bags along A1A and they pledged to organize MONTHLY volunteer beach cleanups, held faithfully for 12 years, cancelled only due to horrible weather and hurricanes.

I have also included some City of West Palm Beach parks that allow dogs and may interest you:

Howard Park, Parker Avenue just south of Okeechobee Boulevard in West Palm Beach

Dreher Park, North and South of Summit Boulevard between Parker Avenue and the I-95 overpass and across the street from the Palm Beach Zoo in West Palm Beach.

For more information on both of these City of West Palm Beach parks, please call 561-804-4900 & they'll be happy to assist you!

Write On!

Jojo Bergstrom
Old November 10th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Mojo

Default Cops & Dogs

I and my dogs have been harassed by the cops at the Lake Worth beach. Their attitude stinks and they are very heavy-handed. I haven't a clue if the "laws" they yell at me are true or just rubbish spouted by dog-haters.

Can we do something about their continuous harassment, vocal poison and hate?
Old November 10th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Mojo

Default Disgusted

Thank goodness there are people like you and organizations like yours - at least some people work for dog and dog owner's rights.

But your posting emphasizes how awful the situation really is and how much private, wealthy home owners, in cahoots, have managed to destroy our rights and the rights of our dogs. I wonder if I brought a couple of Llamas to the government controlled beaches what would happen - I'm sure they aren't mentioned in any law.

But back to police harassment. Is there some way to both publicize this and stop it? Is there some way to start a tsunami of requests from dog-owners and other sympathetic Florida residents to the local governments to open a section of all S.Florida beaches to dogs. All these regulations, side-stepping of the selfish, rich and bitchy, being on guard for the intrusion of harassing cops or beach-guards, being ready to run: we are like escaped criminals rather that law-abiding citizens who love their dogs so much that we try to give them access to their greatest experience - access to an open stretch of public beach where they can run, swim and play as in no other place.

Should we start a new group to try to work for freedom of access to beaches? Would you like to use your group and start a movement? How will we do this? When will we do this?
If we start by getting hundreds of dog-owners and their dogs to march down a stretch of verboten beach (perhaps from Lake Worth to Boynton) and invite the press and TV journalists to join us would this be good?

Quote:

Directions to the Beach:

Old November 24th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Unregistered

Default Is there a way to petition?

I would like to compose a petition for the dog owners of west palm/riviera/lake park. I want to be able to take my dog to the beach. I want to see if there is any way to have say 2 miles of beach dedicated to those of us who don't have the time to drive to Jupiter to take our babies to the beach. How do I go about doing this?
Old May 8th, 2014, 07:37 AM
Unregistered

Default LeMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I and my dogs have been harassed by the cops at the Lake Worth beach. Their attitude stinks and they are very heavy-handed. I haven't a clue if the "laws" they yell at me are true or just rubbish spouted by dog-haters.

Can we do something about their continuous harassment, vocal poison and hate?
You're truly an idiot, learn the laws and local ordinance before you go and the cops won't have to season you with vocal poisons and shiny bracelets.
Old May 21st, 2014, 02:57 PM
Unregistered

Default No Haters Allowed

That was uncalled for.
Old June 15th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Unregistered

Default Lake Worth Beach

We have been living in Lake Worth for almost 4 years now, we have 2 golden retrievers, we take them to the beach all the time but always early in the morning or evening. The police never bother us, we always walk down the last staircase and head right. There are lots of people walking their dogs at these times. We also sometimes take them to WPB, in the area away from tourists, etc. and never have a problem their either. We just always do it early morning 6:30-8am, or evenings 5:00pm till whenever.
Old June 16th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Unregistered

Default Lake Worth Beach - dogs

I was at Lake Worth Beach a few weeks ago and noticed a woman with a small dog. Knowing this was against the ordinance, I asked her about it - I was curious - not accusing. She said people do bring their dogs to this beach, but usually only small ones. This was actually at Kreusler Park - last flight of stairs to the north and then over by the condos / hotels - not actually within the life guarded areas. She said you do need to be discreet - and then no one will bother you. She held her dog a lot and when it was on the beach, he was always right by her and not bothering anyone at all. Cute. I no one blows this!

Tags
None