Go Back   West Palm Beach Forums > Let's Get Started! > Questions, Reviews, Things to Do & West Palm Beach Chat

Old January 4th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Unregistered

Default Colonnades Hotel West Palm Beach

what happened to the colonnades hotel that was in west palm?
Old January 5th, 2010, 09:33 AM
WestPalmBeach.com Expert

Default The Colonnade

I did a little digging (better known as "googling" ), and came up with the following tidbit from a larger article:

Railroad and hotel tycoon A.O. Edward’s built his Colonnades Hotel Originally called the Inlet Court Hotel) in 1947. It was sold to billionaire John D. MacArthur, who ran his empire from a booth at the hotel. The Colonnades had many famous guests including movie and TV stars, politicians, and musicians (including the Rolling Stones and Janis Joplin). In later years, Burt Reynolds used the Tiki Bar for his television show "B.L. Stryker". The hotel was demolished in 1990 to make way for Marriott's Ocean Pointe Resort.

So it was originally on Singer Island. A nice little bit of history.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:19 AM
Unregistered

I worked at the colonnades in the sixtys,. I did a little bit of everything, including a bell hop. My most famous guest was jackie gleason, i carried his luggage up and he gave me a 7.00 tip.
Old July 18th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Unregistered

Smile

i used to stay at the collonades in west palm beach, fl as a young girl with my family. i loved it. we would stay for a month every year in one of the efficiencies. miss getting to go
Old November 8th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Unregistered

Smile Colonnades

Did you know a Randy Dumas, who also worked at the hotel?
Old February 21st, 2013, 04:27 PM
Unregistered

Default Earl Lowell "Robbie" / "No Sweat" Robbins, Jr. Author

I am currently writing a new novel, LA GUERRE EST FINIE, that all takes place at the Colonnades Beach Hotel during 1985-87. I hope to be finished with this work sometime this year and same for finding a publisher. In this novel you will totally re live what it was like to be a gurest in this hotlel during that time frame. My family lived at The Colonnades 13 weeks every summer for nearly 20 years, we were the very last family to check out when it was closed down. We were friends with John D. MacArthur and Ron Karella alike, both being very kind to us. In my first novel that was published, THESE PRECIOUS DAYS BY NO SWEAT, you can find a great many places in the story that take place at The Colonnades during 1979-83. I still have many things that came from the Colonnades and hold on to them as good memories. Now days my family stays at The Ocean Pointe Marriott where the old Colonnades once used to be. It is a nice place but in no way does it begin to own the character and charm that the old hotel possessed. I am easily reached at: RROBBINS6@JUNO.COM
Old March 17th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Unregistered

Exclamation Collonades

I stayed at the Collonades Hotel in the spring of 1977. It was my high school graduation gift. I was so sad to learn that it was demolished! No respect for historical wonders like this! I would specifically NOT stay at the Marriott Ocean Point Hotel for this very reason!
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:31 AM
pnewsome

Default Guest

Just found a guest receipt for a late relative of ours - He stayed Sept 25 - Oct 4th 1984 Room rate was $42 per night plus tax. Food on the bill was always < $10a day
Old May 28th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Unregistered

Default Old receipt from The Collonades Hotel in Palm Beach, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewsome View Post
Just found a guest receipt for a late relative of ours - He stayed Sept 25 - Oct 4th 1984 Room rate was $42 per night plus tax. Food on the bill was always < $10a day
That's very cool !!
Old July 4th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Unregistered

Default Old school Colonnades

My family started staying at the Inlet Court Hotel (Colonnades) the year it open. I was nine years old at the time. The manager at that time was Mr. Poindexter. Every year after that we returned from Chicago area for a month in the winter. The same kids would be there each winter and I developed a great group of friends. I learned to swim from the life guard, Jack Eiler who later went on to become the Kennedy family athletic director during the White House years. I remember when the TV show, Treasure Island was filmed on the ocean side of the hotel. My mother continued to return each winter and became good friends with John D MacArthur and would join him for lunch in the snack bar. I went back to see the hotel several years before it was torn down and it was abandoned and crumbling. It is sad, but a blessing that it was eventually torn down.
Old March 9th, 2014, 06:13 AM
No Sweat

Default UPDATE on my book re THE COLONNADES

My current novel, LA GUERRE EST FINIE, that involves my life at The Colonnades and everything that was The Colonnades is still in progress. I hope that I can have it finished by the end of 2014. I am planning on using many photographs that I have of the old hotel as well as photographs that I took of John D. MacAarthur with my family, etc. I have received several nice emails from people that stayed at The Colonnades and it is still good to know that the old place remains dear in many people's hearts. I believe LA GUERRE EST FINIE will be a novel that will be enjoyed as I have a wonderful story to tell and all of it true. Blessings. Kentucky author "NO SWEAT." Author of THESE PRECIOUS DAYS and also, NEFARIOUS. Anyone can easily reach me by email at: RROBBINS6@JUNO.COM
Old May 1st, 2014, 11:18 PM
Unregistered

Default Our 'Girls' trip to the Collonades

Back in the Spring of 1975 four of 'us gals' (and two of our young children) took a trip down from Canada and stayed at the Colonnades... It was our first vacation into the United States... even though we had individual bookings for separate rooms, somehow there was some sort of convention that stayed longer than the hotel had anticipated, so instead of us getting separate rooms, they ended up accommodating al of us in one 'suite' (one of those two story deals). At first we objected strongly, but eventually, we came to enjoy all being together. It was a wonderful vacation, I had hoped to go back some day but somehow never got around to it... sad that it is now gone.
Old May 16th, 2014, 09:45 AM
NO SWEAT

Default What happened to the colonnades beach hotel

I am currently finishing another novel, LA GUERRE EST FINIE. This story will tell all about the Colonnades Beach Hotel and what happened. I expect this book will be on the market sometime in 2014. You can find my website at: WWW.THESEPRECIOUSDAYS.COM
Old November 1st, 2014, 07:22 AM
Unregistered

Default The Colonnades in the late 50s

I attended Washington and Lee. Over the spring breaks, our ad hoc singing group, The Sazeracs, had a standing gig over the years, to sing in the lounge in the evenings. The hotel management put us up in bachelor style, behind the stage. We loved it.

Down the road from the hotel was a restaurant whose name I cannot recall. We sang there after dinner once, and the management picked up our bill.

Very good times.
Old January 4th, 2015, 11:58 AM
Unregistered

Default Colonades

We used to vacation at the Colonades in the early 60's when I was between 3 and 10 years old. For my parents generation, the name "Colonades" was almost synonymous with luxury. Awesome swimming pool. Management was anti-communist and anti-Castro. In the men's room there were pictures of famous communist leaders painted inside each urinal. So as men were using the facilities they'd be peeing on faces of Castro, Kruschev, and others. LOL!

Anyone remember the giant tanker that was beached - approx 1964. I think it was a Greek vessel if memory serves. Never saw anything like it. As a kid I recall being excited by the "inversion" - an ocean phenomena where huge numbers of fish are driven very close to shore almost beaching themselves. The lifeguards and locals were reeling in every kind of fish including sharks and barracudas. They had 10 or 20 sharks lined up on the beach and were hitting them with baseball bats with nails on the end. Grim memory, but the sharks were thrashing around and had to be put down for safety reasons I guess.
Old March 1st, 2015, 01:58 PM
Unregistered

Smile Collonades Beach Hotel

I stayed at the Collonades several times during the late 70s, but didn't realize it had such famous former guests. I too was sad to hear that it was torn down. Does anyone remember the fellow who worked in the Beach Hut at the hotel? You could rent a beach chair or cabana from him. I think he was there for quite a few years. I seem to remember he was an "older" man (to me back then) and always wore a T-shirt and a red bathing suit. I think his name was Emil and he was from Montreal, Canada. Anyone have any memory of him?
Old May 1st, 2015, 08:23 AM
"NO SWEAT"

Cool Colonnades beach hotel

Just to note to inform anyone interested in the old Colonnades Beach Hotel, John D. MacArthur or Singer Island that I have at long last finished a book that I began in June, 1985. This book is 300 pages long and in addition will have 400 photographs. All of the work takes place at The Colonnades. And there are photos here spanning many years and every inch of the old hotel. This is the first day in May and I should have the work completed and in my hands within a few weeks. From there I am sure it will find a publisher. I have tried to present a true and wonderful story all about the real way life was at the old hotel. If you ever stayed there or love Singer Island this book should be a pleasure for you. You can always reach me at RROBBINS6@JUNO.COM I am also found at : NO SWEAT KENTUCKY AUTHOR and also at: HEITZMAN SIONS. Blessings.
Old October 3rd, 2015, 02:34 AM
no sweat

Default Colonnades beach hotel--book status

After more than 30 years I have finished my book on the old Colonnades Beach Hotel. The book is over 600 pages and contains more than 400 photographs. Every inch of the Colonnades is in this book for all to explore and remember. I was very fortunate in also being able to enlist Matt Shaw to use some of his wonderful photographs in this book--he happens to be the best posible professional photographer on the island, many of his photos appearing as if paintings, very beautiful. The book is currently being called, MY SINGER OSLAND by NO SWEAT (me). For many years I called it LA GUERRE EST FINIE but last year decided to change that title for the better. As of October 3, 2015 the book is currently being reviewed by a small Kentucky editor and publisher as well as three different NY literary agents. I am waiting for some kind of response which should unfold in another month or so. I have been getting steady emails from many different interested parties waiting to see the book, many of whpm pnce stayed or lived at the Colonnades. I feel certain that you will absolutely love this book as I have something in it for everyone. And many stories taking place inside the Colonnades having never been revealed. I have photographs of MacArthur dancing with my wife, photographs of the the Kennedys and so much more including my summer with Arlo Gunthrie there and it continues on and on. The work is somewhat a memoir of my 60 summers on Singer Island, many of them being 3 month stays living at The Colonades. I am easily found on the net: KENTUCKY AUTHOR NO SWEAT or HEITZMAN SIONS. Please feel free to email me at RROBBINS6@JUNO.COM any time. I always enjoy hearing from people having stayed at the Colonnades. My mother was the very last person to check out of the old hotel and it about "killed" all of us when we were forced out that summer. We loved the place and its people. I am so happy to be able to have finished a book that will forever keep the Colonnades and so many great memories alive long after I am gone. Blessings. "No Sweat."
Old December 8th, 2015, 08:37 AM
Bobsan

Default Former Colonades customer.

I used to stay at the Colonnades when I was working and traveling for my company.
I once shared the Sauna and the Pool with Irving Caesar who was staying there.
He was the composer of Tea For Two, and "Swannee" which became Al Jolsen's greatest hit. He was a collaborator with Gershwin, and most of those "tin pan alley' songwriters of the teens and twenties.

I was staying staying at a motel on Singer Island and when I woke up that Liberty ship was only a couple of hundred feet from my door. The ship was the Amaryillis and indeed it was Greek but much of the crew were from China.
I met the Chief Engineer who took me aboard and showed me the engine room and all of the machinery. I was late to work in Rivera Beach because I spent most of the morning aboard the ship.
Old December 25th, 2015, 04:20 AM
NO SWEAT

Smile My singer island by no sweat

I started my book on The Colonnades Beach Hotel and Singer Island over 30 years ago; June, 1985 to be exact. I am now happy to report that this book is going back to my editor by February 1, 2016. The name of my book has been changed from LA GUERRE EST FINIE to MY SINGER ISLAND. This is a non-fiction memoir running nearly 1,000 pages. Anyone having g visited or lived at The Colonnades Beach Hotel will love this work. And if you know Singer Island you will love this work as well. There is about 350 pages of text and some 800 photographs. You are certain to be entertained and educated at the same time. I am now hoping to see this MY SINGER ISLAND BY NO SWEAT appear some time this spring. Anyone interested in learning more can always reach me at my email address: RROBBINS6@JUNO.COM Earl Lowell "Robbie" / "NO SWEAT" Robbins, Jr.
Old February 27th, 2016, 08:58 AM
"ROBBIE" / "NO SWEAT"

Default Singer island & ernest hemingway by no sweat

Finally, as all is currently unfolding, my book which is cram-packed with photos and stories re The Colonnades Beach Hotel should be available to all the public sometime by this June (2016). I began this book in the summer of 1985 so it is a good feeling to now see it coming to an end. I promise anyone who buys this book they will love it for it has something in it for everyone. Blessings. "NO SWEAT"
Old April 28th, 2016, 07:18 AM
No sweat

Default New book on colonnades and singer island

My new book which is set inside the colonnades beach hotel on singer island is now scheduled to appear in print this late May. 2016. This book will have a great many photos and stories involving the colonnades beach hotel on singer island. The name of the book is.

Singer island and Ernest Hemingway by no sweat

This book should be for sale on the net and in bookstores by June. This will be a beautiful book in a two volume book set. Published by old seventy creek press. Anyone who liked the old colonnades hotel should find this book a real treasur. I spent 31 years on the project. Blessings. No sweat
Old June 18th, 2016, 01:41 AM
No sweat Kentucky author

Default Singer island and Ernest Hemingway by no sweat

My new book which takes place in the colonnades beach hotel is called
Singer island and Ernest Hemingway by no sweat
I now have a proof copy and the positive reception to it on singer island this June has been very good. Everyone loves this 1000 page two volume book
It is the definitive work on the old colonnades beach hotel
As matters are going the book will now be most likely for sale in August this year.
You can contact Rudy Thomas editor at old seventy creek press Albany Kentucky
For more information on the earliest possible sales dates
This is a gorgeous book
Blessings
Robbie Robbins. Kentucky author. Rrobbins6@juno.com
Old April 22nd, 2017, 02:36 PM
"Robbie" Robbins

Default Singer island and ernest hemingway

Two of the three volumes comprising the new book, a 1,300 page memoir, which takes primarily at The Colonnades Beach Hotel on Singer Island, is now available on the internet. It can be bought in hardback from "LULU" or from RUDY THOMAS, OLD SEVENTY CREEK PRESS. In paper back, it is now available via AMAZON. The third and final volume to this set of is scheduled to appear in late May, 2017. If you happen to lstill love the old Colonnades Beach Hotel or anything about Singer Island, this three volume book will be a certain treasure for you. Please feel free to contact me at any time concerning any of these issues as I am the author which spent---on and off--some 32 years in creating this unique book. Blessings, "NO SWEAT" / Robbie Robbins, 207 LONGVIEW DRIVE, RICHMOND, KENTUCKY 40475, RROBBINS6@JUNO.COM.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 02:42 PM
Robbie Robbins

Default Colonnades Beach Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
i did a little digging (better known as "googling" :d ), and came up with the following tidbit from a larger article:

railroad and hotel tycoon a.o. Edward’s built his colonnades hotel originally called the inlet court hotel) in 1947. It was sold to billionaire john d. Macarthur, who ran his empire from a booth at the hotel. The colonnades had many famous guests including movie and tv stars, politicians, and musicians (including the rolling stones and janis joplin). In later years, burt reynolds used the tiki bar for his television show "b.l. Stryker". The hotel was demolished in 1990 to make way for marriott's ocean pointe resort.

so it was originally on singer island. A nice little bit of history.
***********if anyone wants to learn the complete history of singer island and the old colonnades beach hotel---- you will never find a beter source than the three volumes of a new book titled, singer island and ernest hemingway by no sweat. This 1,300 page memoir leaves no stones unturned. It is now out on the internet and easily found. Blessings, "no sweat"
Old April 24th, 2017, 10:13 AM
Robbie Robbins

Default Singer island and ernest hemingway by no sweat

what happened to the colonnades hotel that was in west palm?[/QUOTE]

The very best answer to your question is now in a book which recently appeared on the internet; it is titled, SINGER ISLAND AND ERNEST HEMINGWAY BY NO SWEAT, This three volume set of books will more than answer your question about anything which has to do with the old Colonnades Beach Hotel.
Old July 23rd, 2017, 01:14 AM
Unregistered

Default The Colonnades, so many memories!

Braniff International used to put us up, the flight attendants and pilots, at this beautiful hotel. I'm very sad to know that it's gone.
Old January 8th, 2018, 06:45 AM
Unregistered

Default View from the Bar - A Memoir

Just finished a book by Bob Sanford about John MacArthur which gives a wonderful memoir about Mr Mac and the Colonnades in the 70s and 80s. It is only 155 pages but a nice read nonetheless.

This book was given to me when we were visiting the "Twisted Trunk" brew pub right outside of Singer Island in November, 2017.
Old February 5th, 2018, 11:32 PM
JKairalla

Default Colonnades Life

I have a lot of amazing memories living and growing up there from age 1 to 6 (1979-1985). Who remembers Norm the handy man. Or Walter in the kitchen. My Uncle Ron was the GM. Who was the guy who was always playing guitar and singing I remember getting on stage with him a lot. My Uncle Sammy ran the bar at the Tiki Hut. My dad was Phil food and bev manager. I was the naked kid running around unsupervised lol Great times!
Old March 9th, 2018, 02:30 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy Colonnades Hotel

My husband and I stayed at the Colonnades for 10 days on our honeymoon, in 1981. My husband passed away in 2016, and I was very sad to find out that it was demolished. I was hoping to go there alone, to relive the memories.

Tags
colonnades, macarthur, ocean pointe resort